Wednesday, November 23, 2011

I figured I'd get on my blog here tonight to wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving because I won't have any time tomorrow! It's gonna be busy, busy, and did I mention, busy? 
I'm pretty sure I mentioned in my last post that one of the shows I like is Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman. I know to most it's just a sappy romance-y show, but it also depicts the Wild West after the Civil War very well. (I know I mentioned in my last post how I like the post-Civil War era, too). The show also holds nothing back when it comes to race. On more than one occasion, it is brought up because there are two freed slaves that live in the town. In this era, women doctors were very rare, it was interesting to see how Dr. Quinn handled a town that wasn't all too enthusiastic to accept her. The progression of medicine is cool to see too when treatments that are used today were just in their developmental stages in the post-Civil War era. And I love seeing anything with Indian nations involved, and in this show, the Cherokee are often a part of the show.


Michaela Quinn, M.D. played by Jane Seymour
 It's also, for the most part, a family-friendly show. It has its moments with cussing and sensuality, but every show teaches you a lesson, a moral to the story.
Now! After saying all that, down below is a Thanksgiving prayer that is said in the season 6 episode: "A Time to Heal". It is a two-part-er where Colorado Springs is victim to a diptheria epidemic right before Thanksgiving. I don't want to give anything away if you haven't seen it before, but there are many people who die from it, even some of the regular cast. In the end, the epidemic is stopped, but many tears and sorrows remain with those still alive. The end scene is the best part when the Reverand and Dr. Quinn offer up a prayer of thanks after such a difficult and worrysome time for the town.
And here it is: 
"Dear Lord,
Let us give thanks to God our Father,
For all of His gifts so freely bestowed upon us,
For the beauty and wonder of Your Creation
And earth and sky and sea,
For our daily food and drink,
Our homes and family and friends,
For minds to think,
 And hearts to love,
And hands to serve,
For health and strength to work,
And leisure to rest and to play,
For the brave and courageous,
Who are patient in suffering
And faithful in adversity,
And for all valiant seekers
After truth, liberty, and justice.
Thank you, dear Lord.
Amen."
It's such a beautiful prayer that I made it into a little sign a few years back to put on the table for Thanksgiving as well as the Thanksgiving prayer Tillie Bassett says in "An Old-Fashioned Thanksgiving" (see previous post).
I love it, and so I just thought I'd share it with you.

I pray God blesses you mightly this coming year and that you can look back on this year and find many things you are thankful for.

If you're reading this, I'm thankful for YOU!

Enjoy your family and your feasts!

ERW

If you'd like to watch the two-part-er, here they are!


0 comments: