Friday, September 7, 2012

FYI - my post's title is from the song "White Horses" by Jenn Grant. She's a Canadian pop-singer/songwriter from Nova Scotia, who I discovered while watching my favorite show, Heartland! She's got this folksy, very unique voice and her music always makes me relax.


if you feel so inclined, you can check out her site and music right HERE.

The title sounds exactly how I feel! I really have been aching for September! While, I love summer and all the fun things that come with it...I'm just looking forward to cooler temperatures, wearing hoodies, drinking more hot beverages, apple picking, leaf peeping, harvest festivals, and campfires. We got apple cider and cider donuts yesterday which got me in the mood! Now if the weather would just cool down! 

I got so in the mood for cooler weather, that I was boot browsing earlier! But I'm restraining myself of buying them until we get closer to snowier weather :)
Here's what they look like in all their glory:


I think I've had the same pair of winter boots (like boots you can actually trudge around in the snow) since early high school, so in a few months, I'm buying myself a pair of these beauties!
They're North Face's Abby III boots for women, but the awesomeness of it all is that I'm not going to spend almost $200 for them because I found them on a different outdoor store site for $120 less! Yay for bargain shopping!

Alright, time for a movie spotlight!
This movie has been out on DVD for a bit, but I've only just seen it 2 days ago...


It ain't got that "Truly Moving Picture" award on it for nothing! First of all, I love Drew Barrymore, and John Krasinski, AND Kristin Bell, so I knew right off that it would be an awesome movie with them in it :) 
It's about 3 California whales, 2 parents and their young, who get trapped by ice in Point Barrow, Alaska where Inupiat whale hunters live. These whales can only stay underwater for so long before they have to come up to the surface for air. A news reporter miraculously finds them coming up out of a small hole in the ice, and pretty soon, reporters from all over the world, Green-peace, oil executives, 2 small business owners from Minnesota, the military, and eventually even the Russians are involved in trying to rescue these whales from their prison. This movie is based off of the 1989 book Freeing the Whales by Tom Rose, which recounts Operation Breakthrough from 1988.
Apparently this movie flopped at the box office, and I'm kinda shocked! I love movies that are based on or inspired by true events! Because those events that inspired the movie, end up inspiring you as well, and you leave the movie theater on cloud 9! I really think people need to go to more movies like this, or at the very least, take it out at their library and give it a chance. 
This movie had you rooting for the efforts of everyone involved rescuing these whales, and taught you that no matter what the circumstances are, there is always a way through every obstacle as long as you don't depend on yourself, but let others help and carry you through.
People all the around the world wanted to help, and back when this actually happened in 1988, the Soviet Union was still in existence. That says A LOT that they came to help with the rescue. And the Inupiat people helped, even though they could've killed the whales to feed their families, but they went against tradition and showed compassionate for these great creatures of God.
When you really think about it, this rescue effort was practically a miracle from God! 
He brought people from around the world together in peace, and changed the hearts of a people who could've made it easier to just kill them and eat them.
The acting was so genuine and heartfelt where it would tug you on the heartstrings and start to make you feel a part. I'll admit that I teared up a bit a certain parts (don't want to give anything away!). 
If you're an animal lover like me, then you will love this movie! And I hope that even if you're not as crazy about wildlife as I am, that you'll give this movie a chance instead of watching a vampire movie! ;)

 












ERW

0 comments: